I've been seeing asparagus on sale at the grocery store recently...I love me some a good asparagus, so I've been going through some of my fav asparagus recipes and will be adding this one to the menu again:
This recipe comes from the March/April 2011 Eating Well issue
Indian Spice Chicken and Asparagus
Ready in: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 -1 cup each
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh chile, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 bunches asparagus (about 1 1/2 pounds), woody ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup “lite” coconut milk (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Toast cumin and fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Finely grind in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or with a mortar and pestle. *I just used pre-ground cumin and fennel
- Toss chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, chile and ginger; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add asparagus, sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes more. Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pan and cook until the chicken is just cooked through and the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Refrigerate leftover coconut milk for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. It will appear separated when thawed; simply mix until smooth.
I like to serve it over quinoa...Quinoa is a great grain choice. You can read more about the health benefits here.
1 cup Indian-Spiced Chicken and Asparagus: 249 calories
1/2 cup cooked quinoa: 127
This meal stuffs me!
Do you have a favorite asparagus recipe?