Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday: Rutabaga Fries!

Image via Planet Thrive

Okay... so before you totally flip out on me... hear me out! I know... Rutabagas... weird! At least that is what I though at first... but on my mission to reduce carbohydrate consumption in our household I have resorted to some out-of-the-box recipes... and this is one of them!

Rutabagas have roughly one THIRD the calories as the same sized white potato... and one FOURTH the carb count! WOW!

This recipe is from Affairs of Living... they have a boat load of recipes for new and exciting ways to use vegetables and cook Vegan or Gluten-free... I would definitely suggest you spend some time there browsing.

Ingredients
1 Rutabaga
olive oil to taste
seasoning of your choice - Salt/Pepper/Garlic/Italian Herbs ... etc

Preparation
1. peel and slice your Rutabaga into 1/2" by 1/2" strips
2. coat in olive oil and seasonings
3. place on cookie sheet in a single layer
4. bake for 40-45 minutes at 425

Make sure to flip them 3-4 times while they cook... you can also broil them at the last minute to brown them up a bit faster if need be...

The key to reducing the calorie content of this dish is the amount of olive oil used... Olive oil has roughly 119 calories per tablespoon... so 1 Rutabaga and 2 tbsp of Olive Oil will be less than 300 calories and 8 grams of carbs... less depending on how much oil...

Try it out... let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh I really want to try these! Yum thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so on board with trying this! I'm always looking for ways to cut carbs too. I'm a huge fan of butternut squash but I've never tried rutabaga!

    ReplyDelete

DISCLAIMER

This site has been created for entertainment purposes only. We are not medical doctors, trained nutritionists or certified personal trainers. We are not responsible for the use or intended use of any information provided on this site. Always check with a medical professional or trained nutritionist before making any changes to your diet, lifestyle or beginning any type of exercise program.

Hits since June 3rd, 2012