We all know how very important strength training (pumping iron girls!) is for us women. It boosts our metabolism, makes every day life easier, creates nice defined muscles, increases bone mass, and helps us burn more calories while at rest! Lift those weights and pump that iron to reap the benefits. It is almost impossible for most women to get uber buff unless they are on a very specific training schedule, taking supplements, and following a special diet so don't be afraid of "bulking up" ladies!
- Start with a lighter variety of dumbbells and gradually increase the poundage as the weights begin to feel too easy. I started with a set of 3, 5, and 8 pound dumbbells and have gradually increased up to 25 pound dumbbells (and I'm NOT bulky-fluffy maybe but NOT bulky...)
- As soon as you can finish your routine with ease- its time to up your poundage
- Up the poundage gradually- no more than 5-10% at a time.
- Use a variety of dumbbells for the maximum benefits. You can squat a lot more than you can do a front shoulder raise with. Don't be afraid to push pause and grab the appropriate weight.
- Be careful with your form and always practice proper form when lifting your weights
- Consider a weighted vest or weighted dumbbell magnets to gradually increase your poundage
Happy lifting ladies!